Monday, April 14, 2008

Paint

The previous owners of my house loved stenciling so much, they stenciled lovely floral patterns along the tops of the walls throughout the house. Obviously, someone took much time and great care to hand-trace flowers, then color them in in various shades of pink and lime green. After I moved in, the first thing I did was paint over these stencils.

Unfortunately, the paint color I chose for my front hallway, called "Field Linen", was supposed to be a pale straw color. However, it turned out to be more the shade of pale straw lightly misted in Pepto Bismol. So, over the weekend I experimented with new colors.

Paint try-on #1: Dark, dark olive green. Going for a dramatic, sort-of enveloping feeling when you walk in the front door. Gorgeous color, but way too dark for a hallway that gets very little sunlight.

Paint try-on #2: Very pale mint green. Think it's called "Spring Whisper". I painted it on this morning before I left for work, and hated it - too white, washed out. Maybe I'll think differently tonight when I get back, since it's had time to cure all day.

I think I'll try to find that pale straw color on the third go-around.

No comments: