Thursday, June 26, 2008

No. 1 Kitchen

I love my power drill. I thought lovingly about it this morning, recalling the ease with which I drilled holes for the handles in my new kitchen cabinets last night. The drill also screws in screws in a marvelously quick and easy fashion. Anything that makes a job quick and easy is A, number 1 in my book. That's why I love my egg steamer/toaster, microwave, dishwasher, hand blender, apple corer, Google, email, text messaging, and DVR/Tivo.

My contractor is here right now, putting in my sink! I am so happy about that. It's a beautiful new sink too - glossy white porcelain, farmhouse-style. I couldn't be more pleased with it. My kitchen is mostly modern, toned down by some cottage-y elements - stainless steel appliances, plain white cabinetry with stainless steel handles, steel cabinet legs in lieu of toekicks, shelving on the walls instead of wall cabinets, butcher block countertops, farmhouse sink, wood floors. I'm thinking of painting one wall a pumpkin/paprika color, one wall a faint sky blue, and the others a glossy white.

Yes, I am aware this post sounds very pretentious and yuppie. HOWEVER, I chose everything for its reasonable price. I didn't get marble or granite countertops, although I love the look of white Carrera marble. My cabinets are from Ikea and are not custom-made. I assembled and put the cabinets in myself. My dad and I gutted the kitchen. So, anyway, when it's all done, you're all invited over for a kitchen-warming party! And I'm not even registered at Pottery Barn.

1 comment:

Kathleen said...

i lurve the sink!
we could put liam in it and let him splash around while we cook dinner!

we are so there. just tell us when.

xo